Saturday, November 12, 2011

For a dose of humility - Video yourself...

So - you've been teaching for over 10 years. You've been asked to mentor new teachers. You have a good rapport with your colleagues, the parents know you and your students seem to like you... Things are going pretty well - aren't they?

Then - you decide to take the recommendation of a professional learning coach from downtown and record some video of yourself teaching. No problem, right? I mean - what could go wrong?

Folks - I thought I had this teaching thing sort of figured out. I know I have a long way to go in terms of implementing best practice (hence the reason for this blog), but I thought I had the basics down and was linked to my students in some ethereal way where they magically soaked up all I said. Boy was I wrong!

The coach (a dear friend of mine for many years), has been working with me on implementing Gradual Release of Responsibility (GRR) in my teaching. This is a recent initiative to the district and I'm trying to get out ahead of the curve and pilot something new. Upon his suggestion, I took some video of myself attempting to implement a GRR lesson. The "GRR" portion was fine. I'm obviously still learning, but overall it was a solid attempt. However, the real shocker was actually seeing myself teach from the perspective of a student in a desk. The way I had the camera set, it was as if I was a teenager during 8th period on a Friday waiting for the bell to ring.
A few [painful] observations...
  • I'm not nearly as engaging as I think I am. I always thought "at 6'5" and 280 lbs with booming voice, how could they possibly tune me out?" Well - I actually tuned myself out watching the video. If the way you present your material is boring, then you're boring - no matter how loud you are. Break things up and get the kids involved. Keep things organic and fluid.
  • I only truly interact with the front row. Outside of a few token glances to the back and an occasional stroll in that direction, I really never interacted with those students outside of the front row.
  • SLOW DOWN!!! I'm still acting like a groomsman trying to rush through his mandatory speech at the head table. Breath. This isn't a stand-up comedy routine - it's education. Take your time!
  • I need to go on a diet and do something about that bald spot.
This has managed to stick with me like an aching joint this weekend. I can't get over it. I'm grateful to my friend for suggesting this and proud of myself for actually doing it for the first time since student teaching. However - now I need to "modify and adjust" based on the viewing. Fortunately, I am teaching a similar lesson the same time next Friday. I plan on recording myself again with adjustments infused into the lesson plan based on this past week's video.

I throw the challenge out there - TRY IT! Check out a video camera and tripod from your school media center. Set it up and have a go at it! Post back here what you find out about yourself. I think you'll be unbelievably surprised.

No comments:

Post a Comment