Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Introduction

There has to be a better way. I sit and shake my head each day wondering why I still am not making connections with all students, parents, guardians, etc.? I am constantly asking myself if I am following best practice? How can I truly separate formative and summative assessment regularly? Are my assessments catered to my students' learning styles and abilities? Are any of my efforts honoring this incredible profession?

I read the books and I follow the blogs. I truly enjoy the writings and musings of Joe Bower, Damian Cooper, Alfie Kohn, and others. I make no claim to be nearly anywhere near the same ballpark as these individuals. Not at all. These are pillars in the education community who I respect and whose opinions I admire. Nope, I am just a simple teacher trying to find a better way.

The day finally came (today) where I decided it was time to start a blog of my own. Not a blog where I preach the "wonderful" things I've done in my classroom. Not at all. This is intended to be a place for fellow educators in the same boat as I to come and workshop their philosophy and pedagogy in a safe and non-threatening forum. I do not put myself in the blog title. This is a "journey" WE ALL will take together.

So - let's start! Hello all fellow educators! My name is Jeff and I am a teacher in Green Bay, WI. I teach 9th grade Social Studies and our curriculum includes geography, economics, and civics. I love what I do for a living. I truly enjoy and embrace finding out what others think and how they run their classrooms. So please... pull up a stool, introduce yourself, and let's see where things take us...

No comments:

Post a Comment